Script Nurse Forum
April 23, 2014, 07:40:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: YOU MUST REGISTER in order to post and use the CHAT ROOM. It's FREE. Access to the many sub-boards of THE STORY DEPARTMENT and LEARNING, EXERCISES & WORKSHOPS is limited to MEMBERS ONLY, so click on the REGISTER tab below and join us for free. MAIN SITE returns you to the main Script Nurse website and HOME brings you back to the top of the forums. CHAT ROOM access is automatic once you've registered.

MAIN SITE   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Follow Me on Pinterest
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scam Agencies- Who's real and who's scamming?  (Read 6820 times)
uncle_al
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 08:25:01 PM »

Drunken fraternity boys in an agricultural college Try cattle country during breeding time.

Al Bouchard
Instant asshole; just add alcohol Been there, done that, beat the indictment...

Now FORTIFIED with BLOG!
http://alexanderfilmworks.wordpress.com/ NEW SITE!

I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die.
--Isaac Asimov
Rhetoric
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »

At least your lingo comes straight versus the scammers that cryptically talk you out of your money. If a person misses a credit card payment, the credit company screams fraud, but a "business" like this one can literally con money from hopeful writers and never make a bleep on the radar. I'd like to see some bull knotholes fly free in their direction... man, I still love that phrase!

Where can I go to hear about bull knotholes in everyday conversation?
uncle_al
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 06:18:45 PM »

It's a slight rewording of a colorful phrasing I've picked up in me travels...  Does get the point across, eh?

Al Bouchard
(it's hard to type fast with wallboard mud drying on your fingers)

Now FORTIFIED with BLOG!

--Isaac Asimov
Rhetoric
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »

Bull's knothole in flytime... that paints a picture I'd rather not be seeing, but I get your message... The flytime part is what's really getting me... wow.
uncle_al
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 08:42:26 PM »

Don't limit a search to one engine. (Google, Yahoo, AltaVista, Ask, About, etc.)

Search.  Ask questions.  Get referrals.  Check professional references (WGAw, WGAe, BBB, etc.)

Be tighter than a bull's knothole in flytime about parting with any money.

I tell you three times... QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Al Bouchard

Now FORTIFIED with BLOG!

--Isaac Asimov
seansshack
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 01:37:13 AM »

These days my best advice is before you sign up for anything.

If "claiming" to be an agent and looking for money = avoid.

And simply "google the S%$t out of" anyone you want to sign up for. Chances are if they are legit, noting will show up.
Rhetoric
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »

Who are some of the other scammers out there? I'm sure there's a list, but it would be good to hear from anyone who might have had a personal run- in with some other "agencies".  Let's hear some venting and give some of us a warning who may end up dealing with one of them someday. I nearly bought the scam.
kittykat
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »

4screenwriters.com-scam, scam, scam! The owner/scammer has another site screenwritersutopia.com
This guy scammed myself & others out of $50 for a crappie online class-where he just copied a bunch of stuff off of a free site & he never posted the agency info he promised, he never gave the only person who entered a contest their prize, & he cancelled & rescheduled the class w/out telling me. etc, etc.
Rhetoric
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »

So, there's nothing we can do to these guys? I would love to be a thorn in their side or even a mild rash. I'm sure it's better to focus our energy on writing, but I hate to see these parasites leeching off of hard-working writers and their hope. We need a literary Batman.
seansshack
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 12:01:25 PM »

If we stop proving them with customers they should fade away in time.

They are quite clever in execution. you pay for a review and critic then keep paying and paying as your work will always be in rewrite and polish mode anyway. when did anyone last see the perfect screenplay that needed no changing?

I have heard of people getting up to and beyond $3,000 + dollars invested in these guys and then suddenly they stop replying to emails and queries having provided only advise on how to make your work better.

simply agents not offering agent type services.
LloJo
Screenwriter-Director

The Old Man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 02:45:15 PM »

The problem with a lot of scams is, they're borderline legal. It's not illegal to charge for your services, just illegal to falsify your ads concerning them. Most of these nefarious outfits cover their butts pretty well with obscure wording, and double-meaning replies to queries. The harder it is for me to get someone's attention, the more I trust them. The ones that are too easy to contact are suspect. It's expensive to prosecute all these wrongdoers, and we writers aren't really in a fiscal position to push the issue.

"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin." Morgan Freeman as "RED," in The Shawshank Redemption.
Rhetoric
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 01:43:18 PM »

You would think some authoritative agency could take note of this scam and put a stop to it, as well as institute strong legal action against them. I guess there's red tape, loopholes or some kinks with the enforcing groups themselves. I sure would like to see these guys go down in flames for what they are doing. No matter how you look at their "business", it's underhanded and (I thought, anyway) illegal. Boo on them.
seansshack
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 09:23:01 AM »

and get them to option the screenplay !!!!

I felt I needed to document it as there was some info out on the net, but not enough "single experience".

Just hate people who feed off others hopes and dreams.
LloJo
Screenwriter-Director

The Old Man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 09:02:13 AM »

That's one helluva horror story.
I wonder if we could film it???

"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin." Morgan Freeman as "RED," in The Shawshank Redemption.
seansshack
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 01:51:25 AM »

Oh no. Not the screenplayagency.com. Have a read of this http://homepage.eircom.net/~seanryan/Pages/screenplayagency.htm and some experiences that a couple of us had with them.

Script Nurse Forum

Follow Me on Pinterest
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: