Script Nurse Forum
April 17, 2014, 10:14:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Writers Store
News: YOU MUST REGISTER in order to post and use the CHAT ROOM. It's FREE. Access to the many sub-boards of THE STORY DEPARTMENT and LEARNING, EXERCISES & WORKSHOPS is limited to MEMBERS ONLY, so click on the REGISTER tab below and join us for free. MAIN SITE returns you to the main Script Nurse website and HOME brings you back to the top of the forums. CHAT ROOM access is automatic once you've registered.

MAIN SITE   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Follow Me on Pinterest
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you want to write screenplays?  (Read 6142 times)
sharry
Six-Figure Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »

i luv some of the classic indian films esp of raj kapoor and hrishi kesh mukherji.... and if i would say in terms of art and realstic movies then it has to be satya jit ray!

ohhh...now i have to see an lod movie! lol!

my fav raj kapoor film has to be mera naam joker! amazing!

The horror...
padnar
Screenwriter-Director

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »

Hi Sharry ,
Nice to hear yu are from pakistan. Hindi is more like Urdu
I think. nowadays I dont see much of Hindi movies  so I cannot comment
though I had seen many old Hindi films . More than films I am crazy of old film songs
sharry
Six-Figure Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 05:39:49 AM »

hey padma.... great to know that you are from india... i am from pakistan... we don't have that good films but yeah a few devolpment is under progress...films like Khuda Key Liyay can change the perception. over here as well i can write in english only. though i have written a few screenplays in urdu but its tough... anyways movies of india are really good and really appreciated... the last movie that i saw was laga chunri mein daag and sawaariya.... and it is awesome.... though a little dissapointing because they should have been excellent.... anyway tamillian...that is cool!

The horror...
padnar
Screenwriter-Director

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 10:37:07 PM »

Thanks dear friends and Jenafer
in India only regional languages
films flourish . As I wrote I am a
Tamilian  but my education is in English . All said and done I can
think , speak and dream only in English and English is an elite language
 here so I have to cater only to this audience and for all of us Hollywood
holds the charm . As soon as you all say I pray Lady luck will smile
at me.
padma

FLM
Studio Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 07:14:44 PM »

There is no wrong answer here. What ever makes you tick is good enough.
And all very good answers I might add.
Write for money, fame or just because but keep doing it.
And yeah, it is a tough racket but is anything ever really easy? 
I just got tired of working below the line and want to try living above the line. See how the other half lives.
Maybe I'll get my big chance, maybe not but at least I had fun doing it and made some good friends along the way.
Sheesh, even if this dog pile of a show I'm working to save gets shot, I'll be happy!  Grin

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Write without pay until somebody offer pay. If nobody offers pay within three years, the candidate may look up this circumstance with the implicit confidence as the sign that sawing wood is what he was intended for\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
Mark Twain
Jenafer
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 06:20:07 AM »

Padnar,

I read that India has a booming film industry.  Have you tried to write scripts for the industry in your own country?  It must be hard to write in a foreign language..  yes, I would take the easier path and write for the local market.

Just some thoughts, Jenafer
seansshack
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 02:05:55 AM »

I think no matter where you are from, it's a very difficult business to break into.

Full of highs and lows. I've been more excited and felt close more times than I can remember.

But have to remember the joy for me is the story telling. If you manage to get picked up mores the better.

Just gotta keep plugging away and wishing on that star...
padnar
Screenwriter-Director

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 12:04:39 AM »

Hi All,
Nice views i love write or wrong 's view she is writing because she need not work
in her house . I am a female  even if I am writing I have to do the  cooking
and other household jobs . As you  say screen writing is paying thing  this is one of my reason to be
a script writer but my problem is unique I am a Indian English writer and nobody is
touching me with a bargepole and this is  eating me not getting recognition and becoming well known .
are there Indian English script writers who are well known ?I dont know
Write Or Wrong
Studio Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 01:32:01 PM »

I write primarily because I want to get well known.  I've heard that writers are among the most respected and most well paid players in Hollywood, with the most power. Wink

(And then he woke up.)

Seriously, I've always had a love of story, whether it be screenplays, plays, novels, or short stories.  Story ideas permeate my waking day.  For a very long time I tried to deny this basic aspect of my identity, but about five years ago I finally gave in and began my journey -- my own story, if you will.

I think that if you were to dig into my psyche, you'd come up with a rather conventional and unsurprising mishmash of reasons why I write: desire to impress other people,  the need to accomplish, resolving unfinished childhood issues, cathartic release of emotions through my characters, et cetera and so forth.

I also suspect there is somewhere in there an ulterior motive.  As long as I'm writing, I don't have to fix anything around the house.  Isn't that alone worth the price of admission?
seansshack
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:07:03 PM »

I write to find out "what will happen next". What is the faith of these characters and stories that I start?

Often I don't even know until I get into the meat of it. I have a basic idea, an outline but the faith of those involves is something I myself find out as the stories unfold.

roadrunner2
Studio Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 07:01:24 AM »

I write because I don't know how not to.  I tell stories... whether they're told with words on paper, pixels on phosphors, or images on a screen, they are stories I tell.  Stories about what I feel deeply about... Honor.  Commitment.  Perseverance.  That there is a right and a wrong, and it is necessary to tell the difference.

I hear ya!  Sometimes, I get so immersed in my story that I have a hard time pulling away.  I've never been one of those people who can sit down and write for an hour and stop. To even try, drives me nuts.  Once I get deep in the plot of the story and my characters are meshing, God help the person who interrupts me Wink 

I have a friend who sets time aside each day to write and when the time is up they stop.  I honestly don't know how they do it.  I often wish I could do that, 'cause I think that I would get so much more done, but it's just not my writing style. If I think that I'm going to get pulled away for one thing or another (usually the kids), I usually don't start. 

I think that every writer has to find their "groove" and I learned a while back that what works for someone else may not work for me.  One of those "lessons" in life that usually takes a while to sink in.
uncle_al
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:42:18 PM »

I wish I had a reason as inspiring as the others'.  The only reason I'm writing now is that I thought of an idea that I thought would make a good movie.  And the more I develop it, the more I'm getting attached to it.  But who knows whether I'll finish it?

The way to finish it... is to keep going until the end of the story.  "Apply seat of pants to seat of chair", as Art Arthur put it.

Unfortunately, I'm the type of person who likes trying new stuff and once I've learned the ins and outs, the interest fizzles.

Then you may never fizzle with screenwriting.  There are ALWAYS new things to learn.  Or unlearn.

With indexing and screenwriting, I would also count the excitement over using specialized software among the reasons I wanted to do them.

A bit thin for motivation, but, hey, whatever gets you in the door...

Just write.  Keep writing.  The first million words are the hardest.  And the worst, on average.

Al B.

Now FORTIFIED with BLOG!
http://alexanderfilmworks.wordpress.com/ NEW SITE!

I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die.
--Isaac Asimov
mteverest
Studio Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:45:48 AM »

I wish I had a reason as inspiring as the others'.  The only reason I'm writing now is that I thought of an idea that I thought would make a good movie.  And the more I develop it, the more I'm getting attached to it.  But who knows whether I'll finish it?

Unfortunately, I'm the type of person who likes trying new stuff and once I've learned the ins and outs, the interest fizzles.  Programming is something I have to do.  It's my day job.  So I stick to it.  I used to be a variable life insurance agent.  I'm also a notary public / loan signing agent.  I'm now also a book indexer.  I could say very honestly that the thing that attracted me the most to those lines of work was the opportunity to learn new stuff and take exams.  Yep!  I'm a good test-taker.  And I love taking tests!  I don't know why.  I'm just weird that way. Smiley

With indexing and screenwriting, I would also count the excitement over using specialized software among the reasons I wanted to do them.  I actually wasn't intending to write the script myself at first.  I found a site where you could submit your ideas to a producer and hope to hear back from him.  Well, I never did.  So, I thought, what the heck?  I'll just write it myself, especially when I found out about the different software that you could use.  That really got me excited.

So here I am, spreading myself thin doing all sorts of things.  I am progressing well enough with my story so I think I'll be able to finish it.  The selling afterwards is another story.

Ever
rnbrewer
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 09:04:47 AM »

I, like so many others, like to think there is some special reason for why I write. In all honesty my mother was an aspiring writer when I was a kid. I watched her pound away on a typewriter for hours on end. I still recall the day she finished her first manuscript; Over eight hundred pages of hard work sat in a neatly stacked pile on her desk. She was so proud and so happy. Then my brother accidentally spilled her coffee all over the manuscript. POOF! Over a years worth of work gone within a blink of an eye. I won't get into the gory details of what happened next, but let's just say that my brother was oddly quiet for the next two or three weeks.

Anyway, to put it simply, my mother inspired my desire to write. But I must be honest, when it comes to screenwriting I can't help but think about what I would like to do with that first paycheck. The idea that someone is willing to pay me thousands, sometimes millions for my work is enough to get me excited. I like the idea of my work being produced and viewed on the big screen, I love the idea of some day standing on that stage and giving my tear-filled thank you speech as I except the academy award for Best Original Screenplay, but in all honesty the thing I love most is the idea that I'll finally be able to buy that house I've always wanted, or a Dodge Viper (my apologies) which has always been my dream car.

I'm not trying to justify my belief...okay so I am. So sue me. I see nothing wrong with screenwriters, who are often times getting screwed out of something anyway, taking advantage of a nice paycheck. I see no problem with them asking for more money either. After all, we are probably the least respected writers on the planet. I feel, as a writer, that I owe it too myself to be a little a greedy. Especially when, at the end of the day, all my hard work gets changed because a couple of guys (or ladies) think they have "better" idea's. It's not like the world of publishing, which can be ruthless when it comes to making money (unless your Stephen King of Amy Tan. those two could write a single word on a single sheet of paper, turn it into a television movie, and someone hands them a sack of cash for it.) But that's just one of the major differences between the two crafts.

In short, when it comes to my writing and why I write it all depends on the format. If I'm writing a collection of short stories or a novel I'm writing out of pure love of the craft. When it comes to screenwriting the love is still there, but my focus shifts from JUST telling a story...to paying my freakin' bills. Wink
Jenafer
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 06:04:57 AM »

I write because it takes me out of my ordinary every-day world, and puts me in different locations with dramatic things happening.  In other words.. it brightens up my life.

I tried to be novelist but didn't make the grade writing in the third person.  Even though I stuggle with first person, I can get a reasonable result after much effort.  However, I stumbled upon script writing and found I have visual mind..  with a good sense of pacing for this medium.

My daughter helps me with the plotting because she is good at spinning out stories..

That's all from me..

Jenafer   
Script Nurse Forum

Follow Me on Pinterest
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: