Script Nurse Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:53:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Writers Store
News: YOU MUST REGISTER in order to post and use the CHAT ROOM. It's FREE. Access to the many sub-boards of THE STORY DEPARTMENT and LEARNING, EXERCISES & WORKSHOPS is limited to MEMBERS ONLY, so click on the REGISTER tab below and join us for free. MAIN SITE returns you to the main Script Nurse website and HOME brings you back to the top of the forums. CHAT ROOM access is automatic once you've registered.

MAIN SITE   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Follow Me on Pinterest
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOLD MY HAND AND SLAP ME  (Read 2668 times)
Chuck58
Screenwriter-Director

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »

I don't buy into the 'you're wasting your time' angle. I've been writing all my life, or since 3rd grade. Sister Mary Martina, God rest her soul, asked us to write a paragraph about something in our classroom. I chose my pencil. My paragraph took up both sides of a sheet of paper. She chose my story over all the others in our class, and I was hooked. I've been writing ever since.

My problem was, I didn't have the guts or fortitude to pursue writing as a career. I can't begin to guess how many short stories and novels I wrote between 3rd grade and when I got serious about writing at age 48, after retiring from a law enforcement career. They were all put aside and eventually went in the trash.

At 48 yrs old, secure with a regular income, I began circulating stories and novels and I've sold quite a few short stories and 5 novels. The income from them makes me glad I have a retirement check every month. Now I wonder where I might be if I'd begun circulating my work decades earlier. Sadly, I'll never know.

Uncle Al - Suscipiat Dominus sacrificium de manibus tuis, ad laudem et gloriam.....etc. Another old Altar Boy here, from the old days of the real Catholic Church.

I am the right wing, ultra-conservative, patriotic, Christian, gun owning, red meat-eating, heterosexual Infidel Obama warned you about.
uncle_al
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »

Ah loves yo French.
Scribo in linguam Latinam... cum Senatus populusque Romanus.

{Actually, it's pre-Vatican II Catholic Church Latin... back in the day, I was an altar boy.}
Yes, I know that dates me... so does Sputnik, for Ghu's sake!

Cheers!

Al B.

Now FORTIFIED with BLOG!
http://alexanderfilmworks.wordpress.com/ NEW SITE!

I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die.
--Isaac Asimov
ScriptNurse
Head Nurse
Private Coach
Screenwriter-Producer

Head Nurse

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »

Ah loves yo French.

Don BledsoeWant to write screenplays? READ SCREENPLAYS!
Screenwriter & ProducerWant control? GO TO FILM SCHOOL!
Representation: Eileen OFarrell, OFarrell Management (818) 985-3136
Attorney: Paul S. Levine (310) 450-6711
Websites: Script Nurse, Go With The Flo Productions Inc., Queen Dad
uncle_al
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »

I just need to remember to incorporate the three basic elements needed for any successful screenplay and subsequent movie:  defy authority, blow something up (violence), and, last but not least, have people take their clothes off.
Ah, yes... the essentials of the Man Movie: 'tude, nude, and bloo'd...
Boom!

Now all I have to start learning how to format the thing.   Wish me luck folks.  Victory is around the corner!
That's actually the easy part... they make software for that.

Pax vobiscum,
Et cum spiritu tuo.  Oremus...

Cheers!

Al B.

Now FORTIFIED with BLOG!

--Isaac Asimov
TIM5776
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:16 AM »

Hi folks:

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I know I'm not the only who has encountered this situation.  I'd be curious to find out how others deal with it.

The screenplay is progressing by fits and seizures and starts.  I just need to remember to incorporate the three basic elements needed for any successful screenplay and subsequent movie:  defy authority, blow something up (violence), and, last but not least, have people take their clothes off.

Now all I have to start learning how to format the thing.   Wish me luck folks.  Victory is around the corner!

Let us never end grow old and find that we have condemned ourselves to a life of disappointing anticipation.

Pax vobiscum,

Tim
Write Or Wrong
Studio Screenwriter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:28:10 PM »

Hey Tim!

Be of good cheer.  You're not only most of the way finished with this incredible, formidable accomplishment, you've done it without emotional support or guidance.  Good job, man. 

You've already made it to 75 pages.  That in itself proves that you have what it takes to go the rest of the way.  It's the final stretch, dude.  Take it.  Own it.  Make it yours.  And then give yourself a pat on the back when it's done.

The heck with the rest of those people.  I'm sure it's an endeavor they've never attempted, so what do they know about how Hollywood works?  Right now, your primary concern is to get those words to paper.  Finish it up, do whatever re-writing it needs, and make it as perfect as you can.  You can deal with the rest of that stuff later.  Smiley

-- Mike
uncle_al
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:01:16 AM »

Do it. Love it.
Amen, brother Don.  After all, if you don't love what you're doing, why do it in the first place?
If I can do it, you can too. You just have to ignore those little "no you can't" voices.
Or outlive them... But, that's another story...

Cheers!

Al B.

Now FORTIFIED with BLOG!

--Isaac Asimov
ScriptNurse
Head Nurse
Private Coach
Screenwriter-Producer

Head Nurse

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:14:06 PM »

Who cares? This is a wonderful, creative endeavor. It's good for your gray-matter. It keeps you sane. If you wanted more money, you'd have gotten another job, so it's obvious you didn't do it for the money, but for the creative challenge and mental stimulation it provides. Some people write books or poetry, you write screenplays. At least you're not sitting glassy-eyed in front of the TV night after night, only to wake up one day and wonder what happened to your life. Do it. Love it.

Every since I was thirteen years old, I wanted to be in the movies. My parents and everyone else all said the same thing ... I didn't know anyone who could help me ... it wasn't a reliable way to make a living ... and when you worked, you didn't make much. My mother insisted that I become a teacher so that at least I could get a regular job. I quit college and got a job in the Story Department at Paramount Pictures at age 19. She never said another word. Later, as my sister describes it, she stood up in the middle of a showing of TOWER INFERNO, pointed at the screen and exclaimed, "That's my son!"

If I can do it, you can too. You just have to ignore those little "no you can't" voices.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 10:21:00 PM by ScriptNurse » Logged

Don BledsoeWant to write screenplays? READ SCREENPLAYS!
Screenwriter & ProducerWant control? GO TO FILM SCHOOL!
Representation: Eileen OFarrell, OFarrell Management (818) 985-3136
Attorney: Paul S. Levine (310) 450-6711
Websites: Script Nurse, Go With The Flo Productions Inc., Queen Dad
uncle_al
Screenwriter-Producer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »

You know, I've come to the realization over the past few weeks that writing is not a profession... it's a disease.
Once you're exposed, there's no cure... and Robert A. Heinlein was right - the amount of wordage that causes satiation keeps increasing with time.  (By the time he died in 1988, Heinlein said he didn't start to feel the fix set in until he'd hit several hundred thousand words.)
That being said, the only thing you can do is keep writing.  And, as a suggestion, aside from here, look for a local writers group where you can whine sulk commiserate with fellow sufferers.

Cheers!

Al B.

Now FORTIFIED with BLOG!

--Isaac Asimov
padnar
Screenwriter-Director

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »

Hi Tim ,
I am Padma Narayanswamy an Indian writer .
I faced so many oppposition especially as
i am writing in  Indian English.
my family does not discourage me but still
i have written a script successfully with the help of my friend Llyod Boyd
I have not  sold it ,but still all these factors have not disouraged me from writing .
I am  still passionate about writing . I hope by reading this post yu will be able to have confidence in yourself .
padma
TIM5776
New Screenwriter

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:25:36 AM »

I'm up to 75 pages on my screenplay and it's nearing the end save for one thing:  I'm tired, frustrated, and discouraged by the response I'm getting from family and so-called friends.  The comments range from, "...you're wasting your time," to, "you're a fool to even think you can compete against the studios."  It's even gotten to the point that I'm about ready to pull my hair out.  

I thought my biggest challenge would be formating this thing but now it seems my obstacles are external.  How about a few encouraging words and a slap - gently please - to stop feeling sorry for myself.  

By the way, is anyone interested in reading the short story on which my screenplay is based?  My copyright has gone through so I feel comfortable sharing it.

All the best folks,

Tim
Script Nurse Forum

Follow Me on Pinterest
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: